Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quiet week

There has not been much excitement in our lives this past week.  The weather's been up and down - we had a good bit of snow last Thursday and Friday, but nothing since then.  Yesterday and last night were both very cold, but it warmed up today and I think the rest of the week is going to be quite milf for this time of year. 

The other day my brother in law John emailed us a bunch of "you know you're a redneck if...." jokes and my favorite was an actual clipping from a newspaper quoting a lady as saying "she really liked shopping at the Dollar General store because it was casual and she didn't have to dress up like she was going to Wal-Mart!!!"  oh dear......  

I thought that was kind of funny and it dredged up a memory from my very early teens when they built a K-Mart store not far from our house on Hunt Club Road in Ottawa.  My mom, after a trip to K-Mart, was incredulous at the way women were appearing in public to shop!  She told me she'd seen women shopping in their house coats (remember those - short sleeved, garish colors and a zipper up the front???? - not quite a nightie but not quite a dress either....) and their hair in curlers!!!!   Of course, she was from the generation where a lady didn't leave the house unless she was properly dressed and fresh lipstick applied!  We've come a loooooooong way from THAT, haven't we? - But, I think that some days days we could use a bit of that old fashioned "check twice in the mirror before leaving the house" mind-set!  And  I don't just blame Dollar General and Wal-mart - I blame Spandex too!

I took today's pictures of the birds at the  bird feeder - they do fight over the suet thing! And Buddy wondering where all the birds have gone








1 comment: