Saturday, January 29, 2011

Deer sure eat a lot!


Well, as I suspected once we started putting out deer food, the deer started to invite all their friends!! I can see us having to buy several bags of food a week - oh well what can you do? I do like to get up during the night and watch them in the yard. The cats are totally FASCINATED with the deer. I don't think Nibbles closes her eyes all night - she just sits and stares out the windows waiting and watching for the deer - then when the deer show up, she freaks out racing from one window to another trying to get a better look. silly cat


It's been quite cold this past week - at least at night - we had one night where it was minus 33!!! Today it was much milder - but it snowed. Rick went out to do the laneway and the snowblower chewed up a belt. Fortunately it was a very light fluffy snow and Kris finished the job with a shovel. Tomorrow will see us up to Pembroke to get a belt for it (and probably look at new snow-blowers) I would prefer Rick to hunt down a truck with plow - man-handling a snowblower up and down our long laneway is quite a chore. We agreed that if we hear of a truck and plow going cheap we'll go for it.


I finally down-loaded a book (for me not Rick) on my Kindle. In fact, I bought 3 e-books for under $10 total. It is, perhaps, tooooooo easy - the "one click buy" set up on Amazon, sure lets you spend your $$$$ fast!!! I'm quite pleased with the Kindle, but still have some trouble finding a comfortable way to hold it - one can't hold it quite like a book as it is only one side of a book, if you know what I mean.


I would have designed it differently (had the Amazon people thought to ask me). I would have made it more book like - opening up like a book, which would feel "right" to a reader and also provide a way of closing a cover it to protect the screen. Also, controls should be at the top, not the bottom where you can accidently hit them as you hold the Kindle. I must send off a little note to the Kindle people with my recommendations...


Oh well, I'm sure they'll get it right eventually - actually, I think you can buy accessories for it - and one is a leather cover - I'll have to check it out.


This weekend, we're catching some of the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona- it's not NASCAR, but it IS racing and, hey, watching cars run off the track and bump each other is just plain good fun!


todays picture is Buddy on the front walk - he's waiting for birds to show up to the feeder

1 comment:

  1. I can hear the Rolex cars in the distance. Neat race but I have no time for it this weekend. I did go to the Roar before the Rolex, the practice weekend, all very neat stuff, you can walk around the garages that weekend, lots of activity. I also just bought a ticket to see the ARCA race and the Bud Shootout on Feb, 12.. Enough car racing for me.
    One thing for sure is you have to attend at least one live NASCAR event, totally different from TV.

    ReplyDelete