Sunday, October 11, 2009

SNOW?????!!!!!!




I swear it was trying hard to snow up in Griffith today!!! Rick and I took the Pony for what might be one of it's last runs of the year. On the way, the weather turned a bit nasty and I'm sure it was almost snowing for a few minutes.

Showing in Griffith went nowhere - as I suspected, but fortunately over and done with by noon - so time for a quick stop in town for groceries and then home in plenty of time for the race!

BTW - a warning to anyone planning to buy a new stove DON'T BUY A GLASS TOP STOVE!!! Last year I bought a GE smooth top, convection, self clean and I am THIS close to throwing it out and buying a plain old stove with coil elements. Don't get me wrong, the smooth top is very pretty, BUT, it can't boil water!!!!!

I'm not kidding, it cannot bring water in a dutch-oven sized pot to a proper boil!!! The problem is the element continues to cycle on and off...and on.....and off.....and on.... and off....

And because the damn element doesn't stay ON, as soon as the water even starts to boil, it cycles OFF again and the water stops boiling (well simmering, actually, doesn't ever really BOIL!

It is sooooooooo stupid, I can't beleive they don't sell these useless stoves with a warning "pretty to look at - but can't boil freaking water!!!"

I have learned to adjust my cooking times over the last year, allowing an extra 20 to 30 minutes to cook certain things - And I don't use large pots, and I've given up trying to use a pressure cooker.

Lately, I've taken to hanging around the appliance departments and making sure any unsuspecting buyers looking at these useless stoves are quickly informed (by me) of their complete lack of cooking ability!!!!!

whew!

today's picture is an old one from our trip to the Westmeath Lookout Point. We plan to go back there in the next day or two as the leaves are turning now and should get some great shots.

1 comment: